LEWISTON, Maine -- Junior captain Amanda Kaufman took first place in two events, including a 1-2-3-4 sweep of the 200-meter dash, as the Bates women's track and field team made a strong indoor season debut Saturday in a home tri-meet against MIT and Colby.
With events scored on a 5-3-2-1 basis, MIT led the way with 86 team points, followed by Bates (60) and Colby (35).
The Bobcats took first place in three events, among the following top-four scoring performances:
- Kaufman (Somers, Conn.) won the 200-meter dash in 26.84 seconds and placed first in the 60-meter hurdles (9.28).
- Senior captain Megan Seymour (West Hartford, Conn.) placed second in the 200 meters in 27.35.
- Sophomore Emily-Claire Duffy (Belmont, Mass.) took second place in the 400-meter dash (1:02.44).
- Senior Olivia LaMarche (Lynnfield, Mass.) took second place in the 3,000 meters (10:54.62).
- Sophomore Lily Simmons (Harpers Ferry, W.Va.) placed second in the pole vault, clearing the bar at 10'8".
- Senior Paige Rabb (Stamford, Conn.) placed third in the 200 meters (27.47).
- Sophomore Rebecca Willis (West Newbury, Mass.) placed third in the 60-meter hurdles (9.71) and fourth in the 200 meters (27.52).
- First-year Maggie Marsh (Stratham, N.H.) placed third in the 400 meters (1:02.57).
- First-year Alice Cockerham (Kingfield, Maine) placed third in the 60-meter dash at an undetermined time, after running the preliminary heat in 8.47 seconds.
- Sophomore Mary Corcoran (Brookline, Mass.) placed third in the 600 meters (1:43.28).
- Sophomore Tara Ellard (Brewster, Mass.) placed third in the 3,000 meters (10:54.73).
- First-year Frieda Kickliter (Mobile, Ala.) placed third in the 800 meters (2:31.25).
- Sophomore Elise Lambert (Amherst, N.H.) took second place in the 1,000 meters (3:11.44) and third in the high jump (5'3.25").
- Junior Genesis Paulino (Lawrence, Mass.) took third place in both the shot put (34'4.75") and the weight throw (43'3.25").
- First-year Jordan Wilson (Medfield, Mass.) placed third in the mile (5:14.40).
- First-year Elizabeth Patrick (Ipswich, Mass.) placed fourth in the mile (5:15.72).
- First-year Lily Harding (Kenfield, Calif.) placed fourth in the 3,000 meters (10:55.23).
- Sophomore Lauren Berube (Auburn, Maine) placed fourth in the pole vault (9'8").
- First-year Adelaide Armah (Accra, Ghana) placed fourth in the long jump (16'3").
- Winning the 4x400 relay for the Bobcats in 4:08.27 were Rabb, Duffy, Lambert and Seymour.
Bates will stay at home next Saturday to host the Bates Invitational, which will include teams from the University of Maine, Bryant, Franklin Pierce, Keene State and Husson. The men's heptathlon and women's pentathlon take place Friday afternoon, with the rest of the meet beginning at noon Saturday.