BRUNSWICK, Maine -- The first session of the Maine State Collegiate Swimming and Diving Meet Friday night at Bowdoin ended with the Bates women in first place among four teams, while the Bates men were a close second place behind Colby.
The Bates women scored 409 points Friday; they're followed in team scoring by Bowdoin (313), Colby (199.5) and the University of Maine (178.5). On the men's side, Colby has 358 points, followed by Bates (351.5), Bowdoin (279.5), Maine (106) and Maine Maritime (5). The Bates men and women have both captured first place in each of the Maine State Open's first five years.
Bates claimed first place in five of 15 events on Friday:
- First-year Abigail Gibbons (Westtown, N.Y.) finished first in the women's 50-yard breaststroke, in 30.20 seconds.
- First-year Gabby Smart (Clinton, Mont.) won the women's 50-yard backstroke in 27.44 seconds.
- Men's senior captain Matt Charest (Lewiston, Maine) won the 50-yard breaststroke in 27.22 seconds.
- Sophomore Pieter Cory (Dublin, Calif.) won the men's 200-yard individual medley in 1:55.93, 1.39 seconds ahead of the runner-up.
- Bates also won the non-scoring mixed 400-yard medley relay, with Smart, Charest, first-year Tristan Depew (Santa Barbara, Calif.) and sophomore Maya Reynoso Williams (Somerville, Mass.) finishing in 3:40.93.
The meet resumes at 9am Saturday at Bowdoin, with a final session starting at 5pm.