LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates men's track and field team opened the 2020 indoor season Saturday against perennial national power MIT and rival Colby, taking second place among the three teams.
With events scored on a 5-3-2-1 basis (relays 5-3), MIT led the way with 110 team points, followed by Bates (51) and Colby (13).
Top-four, point-scoring performances by Bates included:
- Junior John Rex (Andover, Mass.) won the weight throw by nearly five feet at a career-best 60'1.75", putting him at No. 2 in the early national rankings.
- Sophomore John Mieszczanski (Chelmsford, Mass.) won the 1,000 meters in 2:35.35.
- First-year Peter Ackley (New Albany, Ohio) took second place in the 200 meters (23.57).
- Sophomore Nicholas Reznik (Bar Harbor, Maine) took second place in the 3,000 meters (8:56.63).
- Senior captain Beaufils Kimpolo-Pene (Bronx, N.Y.) took third place in the high jump (6'0.75") and fourth in the 60-meter dash (7.35).
- Senior Justin Levine (Boca Raton, Fla.) placed third in the mile (4:29.60).
- Junior Ryan Nealis (London, England) placed third in the 3,000 meters (9:09.25).
- Junior Milan Lemon (Plantation, Fla.) placed third in the 60-meter dash (7.26).
- First-year Owen Glover (Andover, Mass.) took third place in the 600-meter run (1:26.02).
- Sophomore Nicholas Stathos (Wellesley, Mass.) placed third in the 1,000 meters (2:38.55).
- Sophomore Jackson Elkins (South Deerfield, Mass.) placed third in the 800 meters (2:01.97).
- Junior Zach Smith (Waterville, Maine) placed fourth in the weight throw (48'6").
- Sophomore Bart Rust (Croton on Hudson, N.Y.) placed fourth in the mile (4:30.13).
- Senior Gabe Benson (Maplewood, N.J.) placed fourth in the 800 meters (2:02.90).
- First-year Daniel McConnell (Califon, N.J.) placed fourth in the 600 meters (1:27.53).
- Junior captain Brendan Donahue (Wolfeboro Falls, N.H.) placed fourth in the 60-meter hurdles (8.89).
- Sophomore Liam Evans (Sauquoit, N.Y.) placed fourth in the pole vault (12'1.5").
- Sophomore John Everett (Winchester, Mass.) placed fourth in the shot put (43'7.25").
- First-year Paul Speliakos (Milford, Mass.) competed unopposed in the triple jump, with a top effort of 38'4".
- Winning the 4x800 relay by over eight seconds in 8:16.02 were McConnell, Elkins, first-year Gabe Coffey (Bangor, Maine) and Mieszczanski.
Bates will stay at home next Saturday to host the Bates Invitational, which will include teams from the University of Maine, Bryant, Franklin Pierce, Keene State and Husson. The men's heptathlon and women's pentathlon take place Friday afternoon, with the rest of the meet beginning at noon Saturday.