No. 14 field hockey beats No. 20 Trinity 1-0 on Burns' goal

Riley Burns scored the lone goal as the Bates field hockey team defeated Trinity 1-0 on Oct. 6, 2019. (Samuel Mironko '21 for Bates College)

LEWISTON, Maine -- A day after falling 1-0 to No. 1 Middlebury on a penalty stroke, the No. 14 nationally ranked Bates field hockey team scored a 1-0 victory over their own Sunday over No. 20 Trinity.

Riley Burns' goal on a penalty corner in the third quarter was the difference in an evenly played NESCAC game at Campus Avenue Field.

Trinity (5-5, 1-5 NESCAC) held a slight advantage over Bates in shots attempted (12-10) and penalty corners (10-8). Bates goalies Ellie Bauer (Denver, Colo.) and Grace Biddle (State College, Pa.) combined to make five saves in their second shared shutout of the season.

On their eighth corner of the game, called with 8:15 to go in the third quarter, the Bobcats tried inserting to first-year Paige Cote (Auburn, Maine) at the top of the circle. Cote turned her back on Trinity's point defender Caelin Flaherty and the Bantam goal, dribbled to the right and centered the ball toward junior Emily Gianunzio (Darien, Conn.), posting up in the middle with defenders surrounding her.

Gianunzio flipped the ball at the goal, and Trinity defender Lizzie Provost deflected the shot away. Trinity goalie Emma Cropper lunged toward the ball but Burns beat her to it, sweeping at the ball and one-timing it just beyond Cropper's stick and just inside the left goalpost for the 1-0 lead.

Trinity outplayed Bates in the first quarter and had a 6-0 edge in shots to show for it, but the Bobcats staunchly held their ground.

Trinity extended its shots attempted advantage to 8-1 in the second quarter, but a leaping save by Bauer on Caroline Curtin's shot off a restart helped to keep the game scoreless. Bates put the pressure on the Bantams in the final minutes of the half, earning two corners and getting off one blocked shot by senior Grace Fitzgerald (Larchmont, N.Y.).

Trinity turned up the heat in response, earning a 3-0 advantage in both penalty corners and shots over the final five minutes of the third quarter. Biddle came up with two saves on shots by Christine Taylor to preserve the lead.

The Bobcats outshot the Bantams 4-0 in the fourth quarter, forcing Cropper to make two saves to keep them from extending the lead.

Bauer made three saves in the first half and Biddle made two saves in the second half for Bates. Cropper made two saves for Trinity.

Bates next visits Wesleyan on Saturday, Oct. 12.